Monday, January 9, 2012

Coconut Oil



I wanted to share a little something that my sister told me about a few years ago.  Coconut oil.  Not something I had even heard of before, let alone bought.  She told me that it's 100% natural and she uses it as a moisturizer and makeup remover.  I thought, okay, what the heck, I'll try it.  

So, I went to my local grocery store, and found it in the baking aisle next to the cooking oils.  Yes, it's used for cooking!  It comes in a cylinder type tub and has the appearance of I guess you could say, lard, for lack of a better word.  But when you scoop it out, it melts right in your hands.  

Anyway, I gave it a try and in all honesty, it works.  I was very surprised.  I've applied it after a shower for my dry winter skin.  I've used it on my face for a moisturizer.  And believe it or not, it's aided in healing sores on my father's legs and feet, as he's diabetic.  It's truly wonderful.

The other night, I thought I'd try it as a leave in conditioner after I washed my hair and low and behold, that worked too.  I massaged a small amount into my hair working down to the ends to tame any split ends and by the time my hair had dried it was soft and silky.  I read that you can warm it and use it as a hot oil treatment, so that will be my next experiment. 

I was pretty astonished that something you can cook with would be so beneficial topically.  If you've never tried it, I suggest you do.  It's not expensive at all and a little goes a long, long way!  I bought that tub like 2 years ago now and haven't even used half the container.  The picture above is the brand that I purchased for myself.

Here's a link I found about the health benefits of Coconut Oil .. take a look ..
http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment